Ostrich farming has existed for decades, but people did not start paying much attention to it until very recently. Because ostriches are not as easy to find as other animals, ostrich farmers make more profit than other ranchers.
Ostrich eggs can cost up to $500, while live ostrich eggs can sell for up to $5,000. Yes, that’s how lucrative ostrich farming can be.
Starting Your Ostrich Farm Business
Obtain a license:
First, you must register your business and obtain the necessary license to start an ostrich farm. You must also write your business plan for ostrich farming and study all the rules and regulations of ostrich farming in your state, including the rules and regulations for export.
Hey! Ostriches run very fast. They love to run, so first you have to provide them with a large area of land to raise them and also fence them in to prevent them from running away.
In addition, ostriches can reach up to 9 feet tall, so if you want to build a shelter for them, you must take into account their height. Another thing to consider is water, because ostriches drink a lot of water. You can choose a spot near a stream or build an artificial pond to allow access to an adequate water supply.
Due to the enormous initial costs, it is advisable that anyone who wants to dedicate themselves to the breeding of ostriches should start working on a smaller scale. You should start with at least one male ostrich and one female ostrich. Due to the high level of ostrich production, you will have your hands full in no time. So you shouldn’t be afraid to start small.
You can feed your ostriches with fruits, tubers, grains, leaves and even small animals. You can also buy food specially formulated for them to promote growth and productivity.
Although ostriches have a very strong immune system and are less likely to get sick, it wouldn’t hurt to have a veterinarian take care of your health and make sure you include these costs on your income statement.
Ostrich farming is a unique business and not as popular as other livestock operations, and as a beginner, you may sometimes find yourself in a state of confusion.
This is why it takes a lot of networking to run a successful ostrich breeding business. You should consider joining forums on the Internet, watching videos on YouTube, and joining ostrich farmer groups or unions, if you can find one in your area. There is no limit to what you can learn from other experienced ostrich farmers.
Benefits of ostrich farming
I’d like to start by telling you some of the benefits you could get from raising ostriches before I tell you how to start an ostrich-breeding business. Some of the benefits of raising ostriches include:
- Profitability: I’ve already mentioned that an ostrich egg can sell for up to $500. Now imagine that you sell only 10 of them in a month and that’s a very conservative estimate considering the growing popularity of ostrich farming. Also, a live ostrich sells for up to $5,000 for one, which is a lot of money.
- High Return on Investment: You would also recover your investment in ostrich farming faster than in pig or cattle farming. A single ostrich can produce up to 40 eggs per year and within 14 months, chicks can grow to market size.
- Meat production: Many people do not know that an ostrich produces more meat than cows. A single ostrich can produce up to 1,800 kilograms of meat, while a cow only produces 250 kilograms of meat.
- Leather: An ostrich can also produce up to 50 square meters of leather that can be sold for profit apart from the meat.
- Feathers: Ostrich feathers are also in high demand by designers, decorators and manufacturers of furniture and decorations, as well as artists. Up to 36 kilograms of feathers can be obtained from an ostrich.
- Easy to raise: You would think that with the amount of profit they produce, they would be very difficult to raise, but that is far from the case, since ostrich breeding is as easy as it is lucrative. All you need is an adequate space, enough food and medical attention and you are ready to go.
This information is very important for anyone wishing to venture into the ostrich breeding business. You must understand how your ostrich business can give you some money. Ostriches have multiple uses and this means multiple sources of income for you. Some of the ways you can make money from raising ostriches include:
- Selling the meat: Ostrich meat is a healthier choice for pork, beef or even fish and contains fewer calories and fat, making it very desirable for consumption. In addition to being healthy, they are also tasty and can be sold for up to $12 per kilogram.
- Selling the Leather: An ostrich skin is also a very hot selling item due to the quality of the leather that can be derived from its skin. Materials made from ostrich leather sell more expensively than those made from cowhide and ostrich leather competes only with crocodile and snake leather.
- Selling the feathers: No part of an ostrich should be destroyed because even the feather is useful. Ostrich feathers are used for decoration and furniture and are popular in the market.
- Selling the Eggs: Have you ever seen an ostrich egg? It is the largest egg in the world and can weigh up to 1 pound. These eggs could sell for $500 and a single ostrich can lay up to 40 of these eggs a year.
- Selling live ostriches: As ostrich farming gains popularity, there is a great demand for live ostriches for people who want to start their own ostrich farms. There is also a demand for live ostriches in the international market.