If you are a flower lover looking for ways to start a business selling flowers or herbs, you have come to the right place. Flowers are good for aesthetic purposes and herbs are used most of the time in the production of herbal medicines. There is a market available for anyone who wants to venture into this line of business because there is always a demand for flowers and herbs, which makes it a viable business. This business is also known as flower growing business.
In a nutshell, this article will cover areas such as factors to consider when starting a flower or herb growing business, factors to consider when choosing the type of flower to grow and finally, to whom to sell. At the end of this article, you should have an idea of everything that is needed to start a flower growing business and how to do it.
3 Factors to Consider Before Starting a Flower/Herb Growing Business
- Capital: This is one of the most important factors to consider before starting this business. Although this business is not very capital intensive, it requires enough capital to get started. You need money to buy the equipment needed for planting; you need money to buy healthy seedlings and many other things.
- Viable market: As far as I have mentioned that this business is very viable, but you have to carry out specific research in your location to make sure that there is a high demand for the flowers and herbs that you are about to start.
- Ground Space: You should also consider the ground space you will need to grow the flowers and herbs. The land space will not be much, unless you are planning to start on a large scale. A space of 50 beds is enough to start with.
The next step after this is to discuss the factors to take into account when choosing the type of flowers to grow.
3 Factors to consider when choosing the type of flower to grow
You are starting a business of growing flowers and herbs does not mean that you should just choose some flowers and herbs at random and start looking for buyers, going this way will make the business very difficult for you. There are some factors to consider when choosing herbs to grow.
- Popularity of flowers in your locality: The flower or the herb must be so popular in your locality; it can be difficult to introduce people to start using a new flower or herb that they are not used to; it is not that it is impossible to introduce and sell new breeds of flowers, I am just saying that it is a little difficult to break when you start.
- Weather condition in your location : Each flower group and herb has a unique weather condition that helps them grow well. The flower you chose to grow must be able to survive the climatic conditions of the environment where the farm will be located.
- Time of year: This is another factor to consider when making a choice of flowers and herbs to sell. Some are perfect at a particular time of year than at other times. So you should consider the time of year when making a choice of flowers to grow.
Now that you know the factors to consider when starting your business, and also the factors to choose the flowers and herbs to grow, it is time to do the growing. The growing process will involve both clearing and preparing the land, planting the seeds in nurseries and transplanting them to the farm after a certain period of time.
Weeding, the addition of manure and fertilizers must be done as the plant grows and before you know it, it is time to harvest and sell the flowers and herbs to the end users.
Who can you sell your product to
Florists ( both retailers and wholesalers )
You can contact the florists in your area just before you cut the flowers or herbs to notify them of the products you have for sale and, if possible, obtain samples of the different varieties of flowers and herbs you have in stock to show them. You can also supply wholesalers who will buy in bulk and sell in smaller quantities to retail florist owners.
Most supermarkets these days have a section for flowers, herbs and related products. You can supply these supermarkets with a deal that they pay you after selling the flowers and herbs or they can even buy it from you properly.
On site sales
If your flower or herb farm is located in a busy area, some customers may choose to visit your farm and buy from you. Some people love to buy the herbs or flowers while they are still in the nursery and grow them themselves.
Supplying Root Doctors
These are doctors who specialize in experimenting with herbs or producing herbal medicines from herbs. You can visit any of their centers near you with samples of their products and show them what you have to offer. You may be lucky enough to get a larger quantity of herbs at the agreed upon time.
You can also open a flower store yourself where you can sell your flowers and herbs.
This does not mean that anyone who is not interested in the flower and its cultivation cannot engage in this business; all it takes is an extra dedication on your part to get all the information on how to cultivate the particular flower or herbs you want, and the capital to get started.
So far, I have been able to discuss everything you need to start a business growing and selling herbs and flowers on any scale you wish, and also talked about where you can supply your final products to make quick money.