Did you know that pigs have one of the highest rates of reproduction in animals? Pigs can give birth to as many as 15 offspring at a time, which is just one of the things that makes pig farming attractive to investors. Pigs also grow very quickly and pork is in high demand in most countries where there is a minority of people who practice religions that prohibit the consumption of pork.
In a typical herd of pigs, there are males known as boars, females known as sows, and piglets known as piglets or piglets. Pig farming is very lucrative. You could get up to 200 new piglets in a year (even with a small herd) and that’s a lot of money if you’re able to grow them to the right size and sell them.
Farmers often face the challenges of choosing the best animals to raise because there are so many to choose from – goats, pigs, poultry, fish, etc. If you are faced with such a challenge, some of the reasons you should consider choosing to raise pigs over others include:
5 Reasons why you should invest in pig farming
- Pigs have a low mortality rate compared to other animals. They are more resistant and easier to lift. They can also survive days without food or water.
- Pigs are also cheaper to raise than fish or poultry because they can eat most of the food humans eat and even if food must be purchased from them, their food is cheaper than that of other animals. If you don’t have money for hog food, you can always make do with things you can find around you or food waste from your kitchen. This is totally impossible with fish.
- Also, you wouldn’t have to worry about people stealing your pigs because most people wouldn’t touch live pigs with a 6-foot pole.
- Pigs have a higher immune system than other animals. As long as you give them the necessary vaccinations regularly, they won’t get sick. The same cannot be said for chickens that could be wiped out in one fell swoop by a disease outbreak.
- Pigs also generate more profit and if you ever get tired of raising pigs, you can easily dive into real estate, using your pig farm as your first construction site.
So without further ado, let me quickly present you with a business plan for starting a pig-rearing business.
Starting a commercial pig farm – Business plan template
1. Location-: The first thing you should consider is finding a suitable place to raise your pigs. Please do not try to do this at home. Why? The reason is because pigs can be very smelly and you will be sure to receive many complaints and protests from your neighbors because of the smell and noise your pigsty would generate.
So instead of causing great discomfort to others, look for a plot of land for your pigsty. A single plot of land would be sufficient for a small-scale pig farm, but if you are opting for a large-scale pig-rearing business, be sure to buy land that is large enough to allow for spacing, grazing and feeding.
2. Box -: The shelter you would build for your pigs is known as a pig pen. This would keep your pigs safe from the elements and other diseases or contamination. You can build your pen with iron or concrete depending on which you prefer and find more affordable. When building your pig pen, make sure you build adequate drainage for the pigs where all waste can pass through.
You should also make sure the drainage is kept clean at all times to avoid insects, pests, disease and contamination. Pigs love to play in water, so you should consider building a water pool in your pen for them to play in and stay healthy.
Pool water should be changed regularly and kept clean at all times. You can also allow pigs to leave the pen and play outside sometimes, but be sure to guide them closely so they don’t wander off.
3. Piglets-:To start raising pigs, you would need healthy piglets that you can get from other pig farmers around you. Make sure the piglets you buy are healthy and well cared for. You should also ask them for their vaccination history records to make sure they have updated their vaccinations.
You would need both male and female pigs. The number of piglets you need to buy will depend on the size of your pen because pigs can multiply very quickly. Pig breeders start with one male and one female or up to 50 each, depending on the scale of the pig farm you want to enter.
4. Professional Assistance-: To ensure that your pigs receive the best health care, you should hire the services of a veterinarian to act as an advisor to your pig farm. The functions of the veterinarian would consist, among other things, in vaccinating the pigs with due regularity, controlling them from time to time to make sure they are in good health, offering advice on nutrition and treating them when they get sick.
5. Feeding: You’re lucky when it comes to feeding pigs because they can eat most things humans can eat, which means you may not have to start worrying about getting them some special food. However, it’s important to pay special attention to their nutritional needs. They need to be fed a balanced diet with food classes such as protein for body development, carbohydrates for growth and strength, vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
You should also provide them with clean water at all times. I’ve already mentioned that pigs love water and this includes their drinking water. They would also play with and soil their drinking water, so you should choose a water supply system that can’t be soiled by the pigs and make sure they’re checked and their water is changed regularly.
6. Marketing: Pigs can be sold live to meat vendors or used to make sausages and bacon. You can approach other pig farmers to help you sell your pigs. Pigs are usually sold by the pound, so the larger your pigs are, the more money you’ll make.
With our extensive experience of supplying and trading Feed Making Machine, Sunwit Industry has made a reputed name for themselves in the market with high quality Poultry Feed Making Machine and Animal Feed Making Machine etc.